Way to go, Team Gina!!!

10.28.2012

Last week, 80 plus members of  Team Gina came out to the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure to celebrate Gina and the amazing woman she was.  The race began at 8:00, but we all met up at 7:00am because it can take a while to gather that many people together.  Thankfully, the sun chose to show itself at sunrise because it was a chilly start to the morning!  Okay, maybe the mid 50s isn't chilly for most, but it sure is in our neck of the woods.  It was the coldest morning to date this fall.

Unfortunately, I couldn't take any shots while I was walking because I had to push Madeline in the stroller.  Last year, my sister and Andy took turns pushing both Madeline and Leah in their strollers.  However, Andy carried Josh in his arms because he's bigger now (and they only have one stroller.)  So that left me pushing Madeline the entire walk.

And unfortunately, this was the best Team Gina shot I could get.  I didn't have time to move all the extra strollers out of the shot before the group decided the previous photographer's shot was enough. So everyone started dispersing.
Will and the kids had special shirts made.  Will's said "My wife", and the kid's shirts naturally said "My mommy."
I'm not gonna lie.  It hurt to do that walk without Gina.  My heart was heavy, and no doubt, I was not the only one.  This entire month has been difficult.  She is missed by so many people.  Will and the kids are doing as well as they can.  They are all in counseling, and they now have a nanny living with them, who has been a tremendous help.

We all hung around for a little bit, enjoying the breakfast foods provided, including cupcakes as the evidence below demonstrates.




And this is what happens to your tutu when you sit in your stroller for the entire walk.

Here's a closeup of the back of Lexi's shirt.
Not only did my sister Deb make the girls tutus for the walk, but she also made some for the both of us.
Like last year, I also took a photo of the POPS girls.  Debbie (middle) and Donna (right) also worked with Gina and my sister at the same pediatric outpatient surgery clinic.  It breaks my heart that Gina is not in this photo.
Most of the team headed home after the race, but the POPS peeps headed into Brighthouse Stadium to see all the fun freebies folks were giving away...stickers, pens, paper, cups, scarves, etc.
Then I figured it was about high time I embraced the camera.  That's me on the right with my twin sis on the left.


I love this shot of Madeline with a pen and pad in her hand, sporting her bunched up tutu and the "leggings" I made her. This girl loves to write. So very Madeline, indeed.  And yep, you read that right.  My sister made the girls' tutus, and I made leggings to go underneath.  Since these "leggings" were my first attempt at sewing with knits, I went with an easy interlock, which you're not supposed to use for pants.  And I already knew that, but I wanted "easy".  So I did it anyway.  Well, they don't have as much stretch as leggings typically do.  So they're more like "skinny" knit pants.  But hey, I'm pretty proud of myself for figuring out how to add those cute ruffles on the bottom.  I had to whip out my walking foot for these pants, especially the ruffles.  Knits are not like wovens at all. They are very different.  But I'm eager and willing to learn.  Anyway, I can't wait to make more knit garments because knits are just so comfy to wear.




Well, our little crew finally decided to pack it up and head back to Deb and Andy's place.  The kids played together for a little bit before we headed back home.

It was great to see my sister, Andy, and Leah.  And it was great to see a lot of Team Gina members come out and show their love and support for Gina, her family, and breast cancer research.  I sure do hope a cure can be found soon.  So many ladies are being diagnosed these days and earlier too.  Cancer is a truly horrible disease.  And despite all the ups and downs during Gina's journey, she was like a bright shining star, always full of encouragement.  And it is the goal of her foundation, the Gina McReynolds Foundation, to provide encouragement to other families who also find themselves battling this awful disease.

We love you Gina, Will and family.  We hold you close to our hearts and will continue to lift you up in prayer.

Ni Hao Yall

9 sweet words:

Deb Sunday, October 28, 2012  

Thanks for sharing these, sis! I know that you know how much it means to me. {{{Hugs}}}

michele Sunday, October 28, 2012  

What a good turn out for Gina! God bless her family! Great that you all were together! I am praying for the family.

Cheri Sunday, October 28, 2012  

Wow. I'd be such a mess at such an emotional event. I'm glad all went well, though. I can imagine how much you and your sister miss your friend.

Unknown Monday, October 29, 2012  

I am so very sorry for your loss and for your friend's family as well. I HOPE and PRAY that they will eventually find a cure for these awful deseases. I just couldn't not shed a tear when I saw the photos of Gina's family. And I also smiled when I saw the photo of you and your twin sister. You are both so beautiful.

Kim Cunningham Monday, October 29, 2012  

So sweet. It's awesome to see so many who loved your friend. I have a huge lump in my throat from seeing Gina's family holding hands. Ugh. That is so, so hard. God bless them.

Gina Kleinworth Monday, October 29, 2012  

Oh how I love these. The event is so special & seeing everyone there, the back of that shirt & so many other things- so touching.

LOVE seeing you with your twin sister. I just think that is so awesome to do that event together!

Elena Tuesday, October 30, 2012  

We at ZhLeet are praying for Gina family.We are so sorry for their loss.

Stephanie Wednesday, October 31, 2012  

What a bittersweet day for you all. So good to see you all come together in her memory. Speaks to the kind of woman she was.

lisacng Friday, November 02, 2012  

Loving all the pink to support Breast Cancer Foundation. Seeing Will and his children in the photos, made my heart sink for how they must feel, without Gina. And my heart for you too. Wonderful photos though! Hopefully breast cancer can be abolished!

Labels

About This Blog

This blog is a place where we have shared our lives with family and friends while we waited to bring our daughter, Madeline, home from China and while we actually traveled to China for her. It is also a place where we will continue to share our life experiences, as we try to glorify God and raise our two precious dumplings from China.

And now we wait to bring Havi home from China.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP