Weekend Getaway: The final day

8.23.2012

Our last day in South Florida was fairly short.  We started off each morning by enjoying breakfast by the pool.  It's amazing the difference a day makes because on our final morning, it was much hotter than the day before....making it hard to drink that much needed cup of coffee.  Yeesh.  The kids kept busy with iPhones and coloring while we waited for our food.



I thought I'd get a shot of my new purse/everyday camera bag.  I bought the Kelly Moore 2 Sues, and I love it!  Just perfect for every day use, though not quite big enough for a weekend getaway; mental note made.
After using the facilities following breakfast, I couldn't resist snapping a shot of me and my girl in the ladies room.
And then I HAD to get a family photo..not quite the kind you send to China for your dossier.  However, I had been admiring the lovely mirrors near the elevators and was determined to snap a photo of the four of us.  One member of the group wasn't particularly thrilled with this idea, but she didn't have a say in the matter.
So after packing up our bags, and before heading out, we snapped a few more photos around "The Grove". I loved these gigantic green doors, but my model didn't.
One last shot of Dinner Key Marina from the other side.
Palm trees galore.  Love me some sunflare.
One of the shots I was hoping to get, if time permitted, was that of the Miami skyline.  My wonderful hubby indulged me as we headed back home.  We managed to find a little tucked away spot off the Rickenbacker Causeway.


I couldn't resist snapping this shot of some graffiti out the window of the car minivan on I-95, though my camera wasn't quite ready for it.  So there's some motion blur.
Our last stop before keeping on the highway and really heading home was at the cremation garden where my mother's and gramma's ashes are kept.




It's kind of hard to see their names when we're hiding them.  Oops.  (They're right behind the kids.)




What was special about visiting that day is that the day before marked eight years since my mother had passed away.  Eight years.  It's hard to believe.  I have had the chance to bring Caleb here before during visits to the orthopedic surgeon in Miami Beach (who performed his muscle tendon transfer surgery for his brachial plexus injury.)  But this was Madeline's first visit.  And since she's named in honor of my mother, Susan Madeline, I thought it was quite fitting we had an opportunity to visit that day.  As each year passes, I can look back and see how God is healing me. I sure do miss my mom terribly, but I'm learning to live.

Well, before our final adios to South Florida, we grabbed a quick bite to eat at the local McDonalds.  And in Davie, aka horse country, this is how they do the golden arches.

Although I didn't get in as many photos as I would've liked for this mini vacation, I'm still glad that I have proof I was there.  I'm a work in progress for sure.  And Patrick is getting the hang of things when I hand off my big girl camera to him.

Our next little getaway is planned for October, when we will be heading up to Connecticut to help our niece, Lydia, celebrate her 6th birthday.  Caleb is really looking forward to that day...because then most of the little cousins will be in chronological order...7, 6, 5, 4, and then Josh at 1.  He's pretty funny like that.


8 sweet words:

Stephanie Thursday, August 23, 2012  

I need to catch up and read the rest of your posts about your weekend because it looks fabulous! I can't imagine living without my mom, so my heart goes out to you. She would be so proud of the great mom you are!
(And I must say...you are an itty bitty little thing aren't you? :) Love the pic of you and your sweet daughter.)

Kevin and Michele Thursday, August 23, 2012  

So me and the kids were looking at your pictures and Lydia noticed Madeline's arm and said "arm?". I said oh yes, her arm is like yours... And she said something in 2 1/2 language to the sound of "born like that"! So I said yes, she was born like that just like you were. She said "oooohh".
Then she went into her dialoge her daddy taught her about her arm "shark ate it and daddy ate the shark".
And there went our serious teachable moment!

Deb Thursday, August 23, 2012  

Gorgeous sun flare, girl!!! Love it! And I love those pics of mom and gramma. Those are precious times when we get to go visit. Hugs.

Kim Cunningham Friday, August 24, 2012  

I'm touched by the image of Madeline walking through the...mausoleum...not sure if that is the correct term. But, there is something solemn and sweet about it. I'm sure you do miss your mom so much.

Congrats on your KM bag! It's fun having a girly camera bag!

Mary Gene Atwood Saturday, August 25, 2012  

Looks like a fantastic get away! My mom has been gone 11 years. I still miss her terribly, but life does go on. Your kids are adorable.

Unknown Sunday, August 26, 2012  

I love the real life part of these photos. I think I forget that sometime always trying to think of rules etc...Love these!

lisacng Thursday, August 30, 2012  

Great choice on dining al fresco to grab some shots of the kids coloring (so intently!) and your wonderful camera bag! (On our recent vacation, I was also making mental notes about what backs to pack/not pack/to buy for next time. Moms are always thinking, right? Hehe.) Too bad Caleb didn't love the green door b/c I LOVED IT too. Skyline photo #1 is perfect -- great clouds, great light, great sharpness. I might have edited-out the floating bobs, but other than that, gorgeous! Great choice on posting black/white versions of the visitation to the cremation garden. I'm glad you got to visit for Madeline's first time. Cute patterned-dress on her, by the way. Awesome cowboy McDs!

Erin Thursday, August 30, 2012  

Hi, this is Erin from the "comfort zone" class, hope it ok that I am commenting. Your photos are just all stunning, but mostly I wanted to tell you how the pics of the kids walking around the cremation cemetery (if that is even remotely correct) are beautiful and captivated me. I lost my mother young too, and we spread her ashes...so I find that you have somewhere to go and visit to be just lovely.

Labels

About This Blog

This blog is a place where we have shared our lives with family and friends while we waited to bring our daughter, Madeline, home from China and while we actually traveled to China for her. It is also a place where we will continue to share our life experiences, as we try to glorify God and raise our two precious dumplings from China.

And now we wait to bring Havi home from China.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP