A little downtown fun

7.29.2012


Today's post is actually a "how to/how not to" photography kind of post.  

You see, in my search for interesting places to shoot, I've been driving around town a bit and taking the long way from Point A to Point B.  And in my search, I came across this funny mural downtown.  The first time I spotted it was actually three weeks ago.  I had my camera in tow; actually, I had ALL my gear as I was shooting corporate headshots for Patrick's office that morning.  Anyway, I asked the kids to hop out and help.  

I instructed them to sit on this bench.  As you can see, we needed to work on proper sitting. lol  Madeline is sitting in the air, and I couldn't stop laughing at how unrealistic this shot was.
Umm...nope.  Not working.
Fast forward to this week.  Although it's not perfect, it's a vast improvement over sitting in the air instead of the bench.

Three weeks ago, I also asked Madeline to smell the flowers.  While this shot isn't bad, her dress completely blends in with the mural.  The only reason I can see her is because of the hair accessory she chose to wear that day.  
Again, I'm cracking up here.  She's smelling the air and not the flowers.
This week...I asked her to hold the flowers as she smelled them and had her wear something solid so she didn't look like a flower in the flower cart.
Backtrack to three weeks ago, I asked the kids to peer into the windows.  Not terrible here but Madeline's supposed to be looking in the window, not me.
And here, Caleb looks like he's banging his head against the wall in protest of this photo shoot.  But he wasn't; he really was enjoying himself.  So nope, not working.
This week, you can see that I asked them to reduce some of the glare we sometimes get when peering in windows, and the effect was much better...well, if you're actually looking into the wall window.

Some more from three weeks ago because I just feel like sharing them.  Yeah, I'm kicking myself that it took me three weeks to get back there and re-do the shoot. 

Here, Madeline posed herself. She told me, "Mommy, I'm gonna look at Caleb, okay?" lol
So, after our re-do this week, we strolled around town for a few more shots.  Well, actually, we probably didn't walk more than 40 feet from our original spot.  But it sounds more fun if I say we strolled, right?
Oh, how I love this shot of Caleb squatting down to tie his shoe.  He got distracted by a car going by.
The kids discovered some bugs and a little rock path.


Then we found an abandoned storefront and took a rest.

Madeline sat down in front of the door, and I seized the opportunity to shoot her reflection.
Clearly irritated with me at this point.  Still as cute as can be though.
Considering it was about 3:00pm and hotter than hot in the Florida summer heat, I wasn't even going to force the kids to smile at me for some shots.  I actually instructed them to look grumpy and hot.  I thought it would be more natural and realistic.








And that's the end...well, from that location.  Afterward, we hit the park by the river...again. I'm telling ya, this photography class is kicking me out of the house, for real.  But the photos from location #2 will have to wait for another post.

Did you see me make an appearance?  
I'm telling you I loved that little glass door...except when this happens...
Hey strange man....get outta my shot!


6 sweet words:

Sean Sunday, July 29, 2012  

Awesome & so much fun! I'm sure you do this already but don't forget to just let them have "their" time too & hang back to see what you get. I find my most gratifying images/moments in the totally candid shots when kids are just being kids :)

No Greater Love Sunday, July 29, 2012  

Shooting over from the photography class. I'm so glad you put your link up there. :) I love your blog...and I love your pictures. ;) They are beautiful. I don't know where in Florida you live, but my mom lives in St. Augustine...I think about that place all the time, because it would be such a beautiful town to take pic's in. But alas, we're not traveling anytime soon. See you later on the FB group!

the meaklims Sunday, July 29, 2012  

Hehe... I am rather envious how much your littles don't mind you taking their picture! Especially in the heat! :)

The wall murals sure was a fun location. I had to laugh at them trying to sit on that park bench!! I would have had the same problems, I imagine!

Happy Sunday!
Jill

Deb Sunday, July 29, 2012  

Hey strange man! Outta the way!!! Love the "candidness" of him in that shot though. Their expressions are precious! Love to hear what you are learning!

Stephanie Sunday, July 29, 2012  

What a riot! Loved reading the commentary to your photo shoot. My favorite? Madeline's profile picture. I'm a sucker for profiles.

lisacng Tuesday, July 31, 2012  

What a cute mural! They are such sports! Madeline's wearing a beautiful dress with a pretty flower in her hair! Good for you for scouting new locations. I want to do that too! My fav location is the alley with the bushes lining it and the stones on the side. Hope you can re-shoot some of these! Are they for your class, or just your idea? And LOL on the guy photo bombing your last shot ;).

Labels

About This Blog

This blog is a place where we have shared our lives with family and friends while we waited to bring our daughter, Madeline, home from China and while we actually traveled to China for her. It is also a place where we will continue to share our life experiences, as we try to glorify God and raise our two precious dumplings from China.

And now we wait to bring Havi home from China.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP